Tuesday, April 19, 2011

13 Reasons Why

Cover of Thirteen Reasons Why by
Jay Asher
I finished reading 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher the other day. This book wasn't really my style, but it was still a good read. I think that if I had read it 5 years ago I would have really enjoyed it. I definitely thought it was an original idea and appreciate the moral of the story though.

The book is told from the point of view of a teenage boy, Clay. He comes home from school one day to find a box of cassette tapes on his front step addressed to him. There is no return address. As he plays the first tape he realizes it is a girl from his grade, Hannah, who killed herself just a few weeks earlier. She goes on to explain that the tapes explain why she killed herself, the 13 reasons why. Well more like the 13 people that ultimately caused her to do it.

You follow Clay as he listens to the tapes, and visits the places that Hannah mentions in the tapes. You see how Clay is affected by her suicide, even though he did not know her that well. He did have a crush on her.

This book really shows that how you treat others can really have an impact on their lives. Whether you may realize it or not. You don't know what that person is going through or how they will react to the situation. Or what kind of a snowball effect your actions will have.

I wanted to give you the official link to the website (here). And, as I was looking for the link I discovered that they are turning this book into a movie. Selena Gomez is to start as Hannah. I have looked and I can't find any news of a release date though. Here's the IMDB link.

No comments:

Post a Comment