Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Skinny Bitch

Normally I wouldn't read a book like this, but a friend recommended it to me and insisted I read it. So I did. I was quite surprised at what I found. This book is a big smack in the face. It really opens your eyes to everything going wrong in the food industry.

The book is called Skinny Bitch and it's written by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. Not only is this book kind of hilarious - just because they tell it to you straight - but it's also very informative.  Let me clarify that I didn't read this for weight loss purposes. I read it because I wanted to find out what all of the hype was about.

Some of the things written in this book are absolutely shocking, and some are down right disgusting. They talk about aspartame and how technically it shouldn't even be legal, and they managed to get in FDA approved by paying people off. They talk about being vegan and how it's the only way to be; which for me is a bit extreme. I am a carnivore after all. They also talk about how animals are treated in slaughter houses and they take quite a few quotes from a book I that I think is called slaughter house. The quotes are quotes from people that have worked in slaughter houses admitting to things that they have done to the animals. And let me tell you, this is not for people that don't have a strong stomach, it is absolutely disgusting and extremely disturbing.

Another point that they discuss is organic foods. Let me first point out that this book was written by american authors, and I know that Canada has much stricter laws about these sorts of things. But, in the US foods have to have a label that says organic on them. However, some companies cheat, and somehow work into into the name or for eggs they say "free range" which, apparently, means absolutely nothing.

This book is definitely an eye opener. Though it is supposed to be a diet book, of sorts, I think that it is an important book for everyone to read. Just so that you realize where your food is coming from, and how food companies can trick you into thinking their product is more natural or healthier then it really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment