Monday, October 1, 2012

A Clockwork Orange

A friend of mine told me that his favourite book ever was A Clockwork Orange written by Anthony Burgess, so I decided to give it a shot. I finished it a few weeks ago and I've thought about it a lot. And I still can't decide what I think about it.

It is a dystopian novel, set in future London. It follows the story of a boy, Alex, in three parts. The first part is about him and his "droogs" basically beating people up and what not. He then gets caught by the police. The second part follow his time in jail two year later. Where he finds out about a new therapy that turns felons into good people. He then goes through the extremely unethical therapy and turns "good." The third part is after he has been released into the world a changed man. He ends up running into some old "friends" and things don't go so well for him.

What I liked most about the book was the last chapter. Which, if you've seen the movie, you won't know anything about because they cut it out. But he really does change and grows up.

I really don't know what else to say, it was a very thought provoking book. It makes you think about how important ethics really are.

I would definitely recommend this book. The character of Alex is a very interesting one. Although, the language can be difficult to understand at first, the author uses a lot of slang. However, you do get the hang of it after a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment